Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Little Voices

I forgot to set the alarm this morning, but it didn't matter. Charlie arrived by my bed at 7:10 in his underwear, shivering, and pushed me over for morning cuddles. Last month I found myself in a panic when he gave up morning cuddles, but halfway though being six, I finally admitted it was probably for the best. I tried several attempts to substitute morning chat and cuddles with my husband, but I think he was equally grateful to see Charlie back.

"Mom, you know in The Lord of the Rings how the ring calls out to Frodo to do things he does not want to do?" I perk up, my son is very chatty, but usually hides important points he wants to make in abstraction. "Sometimes I feel my senses are like that too." Years ago I told him he had special senses out of guilt for passing on the colorblind gene to him. I told him being red green color deficient made him extra aware of other subtleties, and gave him special senses that not everyone has.

"What are your senses telling you to do?" I can feel my arm hair standing on edge. Please don't tell me you want to do anything terrible, I can't take it, not today, not ever.

"Well, sometimes they want me to smash the TV, or scream at the top of my lungs, even in school." I sigh deeply, sometimes I feel like that too.

"I am glad you don't listen to those senses all the time. I would be irritated if you smashed the TV."

"Is dad going to make waffles like he promised this morning?" Dad perks up in bed and mumbles a vague rumble of words that sound something like "inaminit".

The school emailed this week and they are starting the process of testing Charlie for learning disabilities. This boy has charismatically charmed since the day he was born. Even the delivery nurses held him a little longer, smiling, "We love Charlie," they told me, and I believed them. His eyes penetrate, he loves people, people love him, always have. Born into a family of introverts, he hurdled us into a world where people enjoy each other, just for the sake of it. A world, until him, we often doubted was genuine.

As Charlie dragged dad downstairs to get started on the waffles I stayed in bed an extra five minutes. Sometimes I want to smash the TV too, and I certainly feel like screaming at the top of my lungs, even in school. We will just have to keep the ring in our pockets, Charlie.





21 comments:

  1. Me too, Charlie, me too. You're lucky he talks about this stuff with you - I always felt like I had to hold it in...then I'd explode.
    I loved this post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Email? Is that how schools notify parents about possible learning disabilities? Charlie sounds pretty sharp to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The email is my choice, or I think it is? I have a much easier time communicating and gathering my thoughts than trying to organize a phone call from a closet at work.

      Delete
    2. He is a bright one, maybe just not fitting so neatly in the box.

      Delete
  3. I love the photo at the end. He looks like a kid with something to tell you...he has an opinion to express. Im with Joe, EMAIL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opinions are his middle name! I am sure if they do test him they will hear all about it. The email works great for me.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you've got a bright one there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. He sounds like a smart one who marches to the beat of his own drum. I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate how sometimes things that make our kids unique are viewed as "problems" by the school and society. He looks like a wonderful kid, and you two obviously have a great relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love charlie too!! i'm so happy he's back to chat and cuddle!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful thing that he can articulate that to you. Our sons are about the same age. Hope the testing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear my hair is going grey just waiting. 7 days of school left, we are switching schools next year, and this principal is leaving. I hope they will actually do the tests now that it has been mentioned! I guess we just keep learning along the way.....

      Delete
  9. Oh how I sympathize. The way I see it, is that all of our kids have incredible attributes and talents, and they all have challenges that need to be worked through. And I think it is those challenges that give them understanding and empathy for others along with resiliency and self-confidence as they learn they can overcome those challenges.

    At least that's how I choose to see my son's sensory processing issues.


    Great post. I love how you integrated Lord of the Rings at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!

      You have a great outlook, I am sure your son benefits tremendously from your support!

      Delete
  10. What a cutie and how smart to have that type of conversation at such a young age. Don't feel guilty about the color-blindness. The other powers will more than make up for it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel guilty about that one. I find that I hold back from gasping at beautiful sunsets, or admiring gardens too enthusiastically. That said, I am glad I pitched it so that he feels special, even empowered by it!

      Delete
  11. I have never met a kid named Charlie that I didn't adore and your Charlie sounds like one I'd want to eat up! I hope that school next year is good for him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the way you tell this -- weaving promise and concern together into one post. And I'm with you on wanting to just let it out, Charlie! Best wishes for Charlie in the coming school year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How smart to be picking up on connections between his senses and Lord of the Rings! Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete