Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Relay for Life

When my sister was diagnosed with breast cancer at age thirty three, I was twenty seven years old, single, and in a new relationship. I knew my life would be forever changed by mammograms, pink ribbons, and running events. The doors to the cancer club were forever opened to me, as the sister of a survivor. I’ve been to the big blue chemo chairs at Dana Farber Hospital, I’ve shaved the head of a thirty three year old on the same year she’d later be married. It is a passageway that often leads to inspiration to do more, yet, as with most things in my life, I never felt much like celebrating.

Seeing my sister’s life change overnight also changed me overnight. My husband and I mutually fast tracked our plans to be married. I was plagued by dreams of being diagnosed and facing the reality of not being able to have my own children. We were fortunate to have two children in the first two years of our marriage. When my son was seven months old, I flew to Guatemala with my sister to pick up her son. He was one week older than my own son, and I went out of gratitude. I went out of gratitude that she was alive, was adopting a beautiful son, but mostly out of gratitude that it had not happened to me. We left Guatemala City with my nephew and I returned home to embrace my own children. My son’s first tooth poked through that week, but returning from the grim situation in Guatemala City, on the cusp of adoptions being closed, I returned with renewed gratitude for every detail in my daily life.

I remember one day at preschool when I was picking up my daughter from room five, and my son from room seven.

“How close are they?” A woman asked as we waited for the classroom doors to open.

“Fifteen months.” I state as I pat my son on the top of his head, and smile quietly on the inside.

“Uggg, you must have totally freaked out when that happened.” I didn’t get any words to come out of my mouth before she hopped along down the hall chasing her daughter, but her words ripped me open. Another woman noticed I was upset and approached as I explained the comment and how it stung.

“We just needed them here, as soon as possible, we didn’t even think of waiting. What would we be waiting for? Cancer, Infertility? There are a lot of things that freak me out, but having my kids when I had them isn’t one of them.” It felt good to say it. I imagine it feels good to race, to fundraise, to wear ribbons, to be part of the group, but for me, it feels good to get clean mammograms, to play with cousins, and to enjoy all that I have every moment that I have it.

14 comments:

  1. I admit I asked for a writing prompt this week. An old friend prompted Relay for Life "Maybe you could talk about all of the volunteers that participate and the money we raise to find a cure for cancer. A feel good story." I am very grateful for all who do fundraising, I just have never had it in me to be a part of it. At least never yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to enjoy every day. There are enough tragedies. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. Glad you were safe in Boston. I don't know what to make of it all.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes you just have to shake your head at what others find appropriate to say to strangers. Obviously the woman didn't know you or your story, so why comment on when you had children?
    I'm glad you had a chance to vent to the other woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such wisdom. People do say things and have no idea. I'm sure I've unknowingly stuck my foot (or my pen) in my mouth. When we struggled with infertility for so long the rolling eyes of mothers who complained about all their children never failed to stab me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It makes me absolute crazy when people make comments about other people's choices to have children or not, or how close together. These are such private and personal decisions, and no one ever knows the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The things people feel they new to comment on. I try to make allowances by thinking that they are just trying to find a way to connect and at least they spoke at all but yeah, really misguided sometimes...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nicely written. I think most of us would prefer to not be part of that group. No need to feel badly or explain to others.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everybody makes the decisions they make for their own reasons. You're entitled to make yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My stock answer to the 15 months apart gig is "Hey, just like my sister's kids! Are they close?" I get to connect with their story as well as ask them something fun. Well, I guess it wouldn't be "fun" if the kids hated each other, but I've yet to run my mouth into that situation. I should probably stop talking :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard when people speak into situations like that. We don't often know or imagine the stories behind people's lives. I can imagine the drive to life that this had for you. Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had some good friends who decided to wait before having children, they were sorry that they they did.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oooph. Making comments to strangers about their breeding choices is tricky business. I try to avoid it entirely. Lovely post. I really appreciate how you made it touching without making it saccharin sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this. I actually agree with the above comments, you really made this heartfelt.

    ReplyDelete