Monday, April 29, 2013

The Introvert, Part One

My sister is in town and offers to join me to bring my seven year old daughter to her first soccer clinic of the spring season. We arrive at the park and I pan the fields for any familiar faces. Her coach somehow manages to grab the pink uniforms, and the team is elated. Anna pulls on her number 11 over her sweatshirt, and kicks grass on the outskirts of the team cluster. I pat her head knowingly and reassuringly.

“When does this go until, can we go get coffee?” my sister asks. She got up late and rushed to be with us this morning, so I knew coffee would be in the mix. “Do you want a hot chocolate?” she proceeds to ask my sweet-toothed Anna, whose head frantically bobs a “yes”. Then my sister looks to the coach. “We are going to get coffee; can we buy the girls a box of hot chocolate while we are there?” The coach smiles and agrees, and she pivots toward the car as I pull away from my daughter, still kicking grass on the outskirts of the team circle.

“We’ll be back soon, stay with the team,” I whisper in Anna's ear. “It sounds like we are bringing hot chocolate.” As I drive away I peer through the side mirror, she is still too far outside the group, kicking grass. I am glad she has the uniform on.

Dunkin Donuts is busy and we wait. “Do you get health insurance through work?” my sister asks. An issue that has contributed so much thought and drained my family for years. I could swear she knows that already.

“No, we buy on the private market.”

“Oh, it must be cheaper that way.” I swear we’ve had this conversation before, please make it go away.

“If $1,200 a month with $45 co-pays and a $5,000 hospital deductible are cheaper than what you pay, then maybe.” Could she hear my irritation with the subject? I know so much about insurance, I could write a book, but I know she has a motive for bringing this up, I wait for it.

“I have never gotten a bill for anything, and this month I got a bill for $2,000 for my MRI.” It takes me moment to feel out if it is a statement, a complaint, or an ordinary proclamation. Should I blame Obama? I wait, but I do not get a follow up prompt.

“Well, is that all you will have to pay for the year now that you have met your deductible?”

“Yes, I called human resources to complain, because I have never had a bill in the years I have worked there, and now there it is. She said now that we have a PPO we have to pay $2,000 a year for a deductible.”

I stand frozen, thinking "boo fucking hoo." Is this why people don’t like me? Can they read my mind? I reach the counter and order an egg sandwich and box of hot chocolate. I pull out a $20 bill, grateful for the tag sale I had yesterday. This $20 won’t break us, but we don’t spend on extras and I am very aware of spending it. The woman hands me the box of hot chocolate, and another box with cups and lids. I feel the panic set in already. How will I distribute it? Will she do it for me? I hate this shit.



Update: Yeah Write Lurker's review! Thank you!
God save us from small talk. The Introvert is an admittedly unconventional post for yeah write. Doina’s daughter becomes the physical manifestation of Doina’s anxiety and introvert tendencies. Doina’s sister is the manifestation of every person who feels their opinions are so valuable, you’re just dying to hear them. Doina’s inner voice gives the reader insight into her true feelings. We’re left panicking with her about what to do with the soccer team’s hot chocolate. Impracticable distractions begin to over take her mind, but Doina, like you, me and most of our friends, is playing the go-with girl and suffering in silence for it. The delivery gripped me, not only because Doina is echoing my own inner voice, but it’s honest in that these sorts of mundane human dramas have no ending when you’re an introvert. The most you can hope for is a nap when you get home.

16 comments:

  1. You live inside my head. Can you get the Cheetos stain out of the carpet? I've never really tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been sheltered from medical costs; it's one of the benefits of a 30 year military career.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you might be my cyber-soul sister. By the way - those are sometimes better than actual blood sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blech. hope your daughter fared better on the field.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love your writing. Oh man, more than love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes. I hate those kinds of conversations, where in your head, you're wondering if the other person has NO idea you're not on the same page. Esp about money and things like that. You captured it well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yuck. Conversations like that drive me crazy. At least your daughter got to wear a pink uniform :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awkward convo for sure and I would feel the same way about the hot chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been decimated by my health and insuring myself over the years. I want to shoot people when they complain about stuff like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Boo fucking hoo" is right. I'm still trying to figure out how to pay April's bills. Health insurance? What's that? Thank you for sharing this moment. You definitely struck a chord with me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. As a single working mom, I've always been so grateful I live in Canada. On my income, I just can't imagine how I would be able to pay any of that. What a horrible thing, to have your health dictated by your finances.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would be thinking the exact same thing about the hot chocolate. A little light went on when I read that "It's not just me!". ;) And my sister and I have had financial conversations where I have wanted to just scream.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OK, does everyone have a clueless sister? I do... She thinks nothing of dropping $200 on a spa day when I've never been able to afford even a manicure...

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can someone not know that private insurance is way more expensive! And, I'm shocked she wasn't more sensitive, particularly after you spit those numbers out! I can't believe she didn't pay for the hot chocolate, at least. It was her idea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks everyone, especially Lurker for the write up. I am trying to find a way to describe my family members by showing examples, rather than actually telling the reader she is... I have a huge family and in the end I want to be able to use moments like this to introduce characters. I was nervous to post this because it seemed a bit far out, I kept checking for reject letters, but I am happy to see it went over! Stay tuned for part two - hot chocolate in hand.

    ReplyDelete