Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Introvert, Part Two


 “Take me past the magnet school the kids will be switching to,” my sister says as we head back to the soccer field to deliver the box of hot chocolate to the girls.

 “So this is the poor side of town? I think it is great that you are doing this, it is so, you.” She says, as I drive through a neighborhood of 1930’s detached single family houses with green lawns.

“I don’t think there is a poor part of this town, this neighborhood is nice.” Why am I such a bitch, why can’t I just give her a break?  I can’t stop myself from picking at her.

“My friend teaches at a school for gifted children, and she says it is so difficult that the kids have all sorts of emotional problems, are on medications, need therapy, she says it is awful.”

“Maybe the problem is in the kids chosen to be at the school. A gifted population may come with built in problems, it probably isn't just the school to blame.” I take a deep breath, can we stop now? I’ve got to figure out how I am going to deliver this hot chocolate to the team without having a nervous breakdown.  

We grab my chair, egg sandwich, and the box of hot chocolate from the car and head to the crowded soccer field. It is a clinic today, so there are ten teams mixed together. I am highly aware of the giant Dunkin Donuts logo I am toting through the crowd of suburban joggers. My sister gained a lot of weight after having cancer, and I need to lose some myself. Great, we are the fat people eating sandwiches, and the only people with a chair, nevermind the damn giant box of hot chocolate with a second donut box for the lids and cups.

“Let’s just sit here.” I feel disgusting. I give her the chair and I sit grounded to the grass.

“Look at that man taking; organizing soccer practice, he is an extrovert, he must get so much done.” I look up at the athletic, confident man. “Our husbands are introverts; I have been reading about introverts, it is fascinating, have you read anything about them?”

 “No.” I thought my direct statement might end the conversation, but instead it churns. “Actually, I did read half of a book before I realized it was written for extroverts who have introverted kids and are worried about them. I never finished it.” I am such a bitch. I need to get rid of this box of hot chocolate. I finally see another mom from the team.  “Let’s move over near some of the other parents and unload this box.” We pack up our chair, stuff our garbage into the chair bag, and migrate.

When the clinic ends I hand out nine cups of hot chocolate to nine smiling girls. Anna arrives with a huge smile telling me about the friend she met. One cup left.

"Mom, we have to give her a hot chocolate, I am going to get her," and off she ran. I quickly grab for my old coffee cup, dump out the last splash, pour two half cups of the remaining hot chocolate. I give both the quiet smiling girls a cup. "What are those black things floating in it?" Anna looks up at me.

"Oh, just marshmallows," I smile as a plunk a few in.


21 comments:

  1. BOOM! I am so glad you followed up last week's post. I love your dialogue about the Dunkin Donuts and feeling like you "shouldn't" have them because of your and your sister's weight. Every word packed a punch. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes-I'm glad, too, that you added Part II.
      Thank you for allowing us into your world of introversion, warts and all. I appreciate your honesty.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I assume my world is similar to most introverts. I think it is amusing my sister doesn't seem to know I am one.. even after "reading the book"!

      Delete
  2. I loved this. The line, "grounded to the grass" is perfect. I felt like I was on a blanket nearby, eavesdropping on your conversation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you were, maybe you could have bailed me out!

      Delete
  3. I missed last week and after having read Part 1 am so glad you followed up with this. Having spent many nights on the soccer field recently I can totally picture what you so perfectly put into words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soccer field is an awkward place. I have my usual routine all set up, this day it was as if my sister threw a wrench in a perfectly functioning system!

      Delete
  4. Stopping by with my weekly groupie comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I appreciate you letting me crash in on your party!

      Delete
  5. Just read both parts of this post. I'm an introvert, and used to just be considered "unapproachable", "aloof", "intimidating"...yadda yadda yadda. It's hard to be told that the way you feel is wrong, whether it's overt or in people's responses, like how you are constantly evaluating your conversation with your sister. It sounds like your daughter enjoyed her time though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am fairly solidly comfortable with myself as an introvert. I almost thought it was funny to have my comfort level challenged by my sister (and it gave me a moment to try to capture in writing). Let alone her brining up the conversation of introversion while having no clue how stressful a simple soccer game can be for one! I think I napped for two days after she left!

      Delete
  6. I hate that the judgy-mc-judgersons made you feel badly about eating. I just hate that.

    And I swing between introverted and extroverted. I wonder if that makes me just plain old troverted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. troverted it is! I used to have a neighbor growing up and whenever I went to their house, voila, I was an extrovert. It was so strange, it just came out of me every time I stepped in their doorway. I used to test the theory by going there when I was feeling particularly gloomy, it never failed.

      Delete
  7. The post has the nicest chunks of description and detail. I almost felt as guilty as you might have as you carried all those boxed calories. Nice post exuding every bit of the feel of the day at the soccer field. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I am glad it was engaging. I am working on trying to engage and audience with simple everyday moments, and in turn introduce my siblings personalities without being too preachy about it.

      Delete
  8. Ugh. I'm an introvert, and I hate dealing with people sometimes. Wow, I just sounded like such a troll...
    Loved this post, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am not sure what a troll is and I just got paranoid that maybe I was one too without even knowing it. I enjoy the solitude, but having grown up in a house with ten people, I never had any option but to figure out how to deal with them. It has its challenging days, for sure!

      Delete
  9. My girls go to a school with a "no sugar" policy. I am the asshole who showed up for her birthday with grocery story cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I relate. I'm an introvert and right now I'm on a bus bus full of parents and kids on my son's field trip counting the minutes until we get home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're brave, and almost home! Sleep well tonight.

      Delete
  11. The conversational tone of this and the solid descriptions made me feel like I was there. I love hot chocolate and dunkin donuts. I don't like when other people's judgements have an effect on us. That sucks.

    ReplyDelete